Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Too bad. Lets dance."

So I have decided that I should post something besides my normal dribble.
So I am going to do a game review of sorts.  I mean I love me some video games....  I promise this will not become a regular thing... Cause to be honest I don't have money for video games.

So today I will be talking about The Witcher: Enhanced Edition.  This game is a little dated, but it is still very worth your hard earned $20. Just be sure you have a nice PC... This game is beautiful and should only be played where it can be shown off.



So you don't have to listen to me ramble about it... Watch the opening cinematic. Seriously this is the first thing you see when you start playing the game.  No menu or nothing - just straight to this:

Yeah...  You know this is gonna be good.

So far I have only played the game for seven hours.  Which landed me near the middle of chapter 2 out of 8.  Not to mention all the extra stuff the enhanced edition comes with...

You play as a witcher named Geralt of Rivia.  Geralt is not your normal fantasy hero.  Geralt is a badass; he knows he is a badass, and everyone that crosses him knows he is a badass.  It seems that any time a peasant needs something done Geralt also asks for money in return for the good deed.  Witchers don't work for free, ya dig?



Now the basic points on the game...:

Graphics: 8/10
The graphics in this game are absolutely amazing.  While there are some collision flaws like grass poking through the bottom of wagons or the hilt of a sword passing through peoples arms as they move around to talk, but overall the game is beautiful.

The only real issue I have with the graphics in this game are the clunky models of the denizens of the world.  Everyone seems to rigid and robotic. The only time a model flows really well is during combat.  Each character only displays one emotion on their face, and that emotion is the one that most fits the character.  Geralt is stern, the other witchers are either angry or dopey, and the dwarves are all drunk off their ass.
The world around you, however, is beautifully rendered.  The world is dark and dreary, and there are reminders there around every turn. 



Playability: 7/10
The game plays very well from the very beginning.  While combat is a little clunky; due to the fact that your combat is controlled by clicking once over and over in a certain pattern and three buttons on the keyboard to switch between witcher stances.  The camera is positioned at a very good place and lets you see almost fully around Geralt at all times.  I found myself getting used to everything from leveling up to combat rather quickly.  The way you level up is very similar to Oblivion in that you must find a place to meditate in order to receive your leveling bonuses or brew any potions you might want to brew.  Just a note:  Learn to love alchemy. The game is very user friendly in the way of its menus.  You can track quests, read character bios, and sort through your inventory rather easily.



The only problem I have run into regarding playability is on difficulty spike near the end of chapter 1.  I was playing the game and everything was easy.  I never dropped below half health, and then came a fight with the main boss of the region.  I died at least seven times before finally slaying the beast.  Note:  I don't play on easy mode, you scrub. (Ha - thanks Ryan.)

Story and Lore: 9/10
The story and the way lore is handled in this game is amazing!  I was drawn in very early on by the wonderful voice acting that seems to fill game.  Every dialouge choice you make as Geralt is then said by Geralt in his gravely voice verbatim. 
Did you know that Geralt died once?  Who brought him back?  I don't even know yet...
The story is also very choice driven.  There were many hints that let me know had I made a different choice earlier in the game something different would be happening to me.  This leads to this game being very re-playable after the first playthrough.  Every single choice I make affects me in some way.  Oh you wanna give those homeless elves weapons, medicine, and food cause they need it and you are a nice guy?  -Ohp look at that!  They killed a major player of a quest you now have to find a different way to finish.  <- Yes that really happened.. Nice guys do apparently finish last.

Well that is all I have for now...

Average score: 8/10
I would highly recommend this game if you are a fan of long story driven RPGs.
Though I am not even half way through - I can tell this is gonna be one awesome title to play through.

There the game review is over... You can go back to your normally scheduled CamBamLand program later in the week.

1 comment:

  1. :< I always play easy mode for my first run through games so I can flow through the story,unless its a game I'm confident in(Like I play ME2 and New Vegas on normal.

    Based on the screenshots, it looks very simmilar to Dragon Age, which is a pretty nice graphic styling.

    Overall it seems like a pretty cool game, and I'll try to pick up a copy when I can!

    ReplyDelete